- Making therapy and wellbeing services more accessible to the community.
- Help empower our community to take control of their health & wellbeing by making these services more accessible.
- Raise awareness of how effective complementary therapies are at helping you feel good again.
Bringing together local therapists who share a passion for helping others, to build happier and healthier
community whilst stimulating economic growth for therapeutic business in the community.
- Everyone has the right to be well.
- Everyone has the right to access therapy.
- In giving back to the community.
- We can help reduce anxiety and depression in the area.
- We can help people regain their independence and get back to work faster after illness or period of sick leave.
- We can alleviate some of the strain on the NHS, especially when it comes to waiting lists.
- In raising awareness of the effectiveness of complementary therapies.
- Encouraging the preventative and proactive approach to health & wellbeing.
- We can boost the local economy by stimulating growth for therapeutic businesses.
- We can contribute to the local community by providing volunteer opportunities, offering skill development & work experience.
Why Community Wellbeing is Important
A total of 8.9 million working days were lost due to work related musculoskeletal disorders in 2016/17.
Most MSDs were suffered in the upper limbs or neck (45%), followed by the back (28%).
The stress incidence rate makes 2017 the highest year in 10 years since 2006/07. The number of days lost
due to work related stress, depression or anxiety in 2016/17 was 12.5 million days, costing an average of 8bn a year.
What we are Doing
Asking therapists in York and the surrounding areas to commit to offering a 50% discount on at least one treatment
for a minimum of one hour per month to someone who needs it in their local community.
The website and the community initiative will be promoted locally on posters and leaflets in community venues, in the
press, radio and social media, as well as a series of local government venues such as the job centre and the York
city council. Including events encouraging members of the community to meet therapists and discover the benefits of
complementary therapies in an affordable, accessible and friendly environment, as well as offering a list of free
community events going on in York.
Our aim is to gain 40 wellbeing practitioners across twelve core therapeutic disciplines/categories: massage, nutrition, acupuncture, physiotherapy, pregnancy, fertility, life coaching, personal training, fitness classes, creative expression, mental health services and teen’s wellbeing.
We Offer two Options
1. A directory to celebrate any practitioners who want to join us.
2.Helping Stars: in the directory, when you see ★★★ next to the name of the practitioner/business, this means they offer reduced rates to clients who struggle financially. Each therapist has their own policies in regards to who they choose to help. Some will work on a trust basis, others may ask for proof of your situation (for example, an official letter from the Job Centre in the case of benefits). It is worth getting in touch with them and ask.
How we are Doing it
Phase 1. Recruiting therapists
Phase 2. Launch & marketing to the public
A fully functional online directory
Phase 3. Informative and therapeutic events across York
Who can help?
For the helping stars, we are looking for therapists willing to help the cause at the same time as getting exposure for an honourable cause
Venue owners who would be happy for us to use their space once a month for our free community therapy/informative events
Volunteer events coordinator
Anyone who wants to help in any way is welcome
Anyone by donations
Who can benefit?
People who live on benefits due to a health condition our listed therapists may be able to help with
People on sick leave due to a health condition our listed therapists may be able to help with
People with disabilities
People on low income
Struggling single parents
Carers – Nurses
Stress and anxiety sufferers